Sea Grant / MCBA Workshop – New USCG Regulations and how they affect YOU
As many of you are aware the MCBA Drug & Alcohol Program was declared non-compliant by the USCG on November 1st, 2010. To keep everyone abreast of necessary changes to the Drug & Alcohol Program, MCBA has teamed up with our Lake Huron Sea Grant Agent, Brandon Schroeder, to provide required USCG alcohol/drug training and new compliance documents for participants in MCBA’s Drug & Alcohol Program on March 12 in Bay City.
Attendees completing the training session will receive:
* Supervisory Drug & Alcohol Training Certification
* MCBA Participant Policy for posting on board
* Question and answer sessions with:
o Captain Dean Hobbs and Captain Larry Lienczewski, MCBA Drug & Alcohol Administrators
o ENS Selena Warnke, USCG 9th District DAPI (Drug Awareness Program Inspector)
o Mr. Tom Gilbert, MCBA SAP (Substance Abuse Professional)
Topics to be discussed:
* Random collections done ‘Reasonably’ throughout the year
* DER (Designated Employer Representative) responsibilities
* Your responsibility as DER; can you be your own DER?
* What is ‘immediate’ collection when notified for Random Testing?
* What is a RTT (Refusal-to-test) or a non-negative test result?
* Collection Site protocols (Can you leave when you can’t produce a specimen?)
* Should you keep a copy of your collection CCF (Custody Control Form)?
I urge all captains to attend this meeting. “Ignorance of the Law” will not be accepted by MCBA or the USCG.
What you don’t know going into this boating season about the new USCG regulations could easily get you dropped from MCBA with mandatory reporting to the nearest USCG Sector Investigating Officer. Do not let this happen; get informed!
Capt. Terry R. Walsh
222 Grim Road
Bentley, MI 48613